Wednesday, August 18, 2010

All You Need Is Hug.

Who needs a hug?

If anyone has ever asked you that question, it's probably because you were in that bad kind of mood when all you need is to wrap your arms around someone to feel better. And at that moment in time, a hug was the cure for your terrible day. But if you're someone like me, you tend to wrap your mind around the idea that hugging, unless we're talking special cases like the previously mentioned embrace, means nothing.

This may sound overdramatic, but think about the last time you gave someone a hug and I guarantee you that it will fall into one of the following three categories:

1) the "I'm leaving the party" hugs,

2) the "I just got here and you haven't seen me in a while" hugs, and

3) the "obligation to hug you even though we're not really friends, but everyone else is hugging" hugs.

It seems like no matter where you go, what you do, and who you are with, the hug has replaced the handshake as the informal greeting. And like the third kind of hug, once hugs hit a small gathering of friends, it becomes an infectious obligation to each member of the group.

Quite frankly, I've got nothing against hugs. Hugs are awesome, and believe me, I've had some great hugs before. But when someone gives me a hug, it should be because they want to, not because they feel obligated to. To tell you the truth, hugging gets awkward, especially if it's the latter case and you get stuck in a hug with someone you're not really friends with.

So simply put, hug me if you mean it, and if you don't, just know that I'm totally cool with a high five.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment