Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Maggie May, Mags May.

Do the little things matter?

Yes. I'm telling you right now, they do. People may contradict this statement, but to many, many people out there, myself included, the little things matter.

Today, while clocking away hours behind a desk at work, my friend Amanda walks in. Now, let me preface this by saying that I call Amanda my friend in the loosest sense of the term. I would rather veer towards a more lacksadasical word choice for our relationship; perhaps acquantances would do it justice. Bottome line: we talk once a month, see each other at parties of mutual friends, and make awkward small talk when absolutely necessary. Amanda walks in, carelessly throws me a "Hey, Mags" and continues to walk on by.

"Hey, Mags".

In the moments after hearing that, I realized something spectacular. This girl, this friend of mine, would typically never call me "Mags". My name is Margaret. I go by Maggie. Only close, close friends feel the need to shorten my name even further and call me "Mags". But the small fact that she so carelessly called me "Mags" really made me smile.

This is no giant leap for mankind. Amanda and I won't become attached at the hip, best friends. Our friendship won't even change. She probably won't ever even call me "Mags" again. But for the sole fact that she left me with a smile when she walked into work today, I can honestly say that the little things do matter.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment